Bicycle Accident Attorney in Glendale, AZ
In 2019, there were 30 bicycle fatalities and 1,275 pedal cyclist injuries reported in Arizona, according to Arizona Motor Vehicle Crash Facts by ADOT. Even though most bicycle accidents happen in a crosswalk, many bicyclists don’t know that they have the same legal rights, whether in a crosswalk or on a sidewalk. According to Statista, about 12.4 percent of Americans bicycle regularly. More than four million young adults between the ages of 18 and 24 bicycle regularly, many of them using a bicycle to commute to work. Because bicycle accidents can cause serious, even catastrophic injuries to the bicyclist, it is important to have an experienced bicycle accident attorney as your advocate.
Bicyclists have virtually no protection in the event of an accident, other than a helmet when worn. While those in a passenger vehicle are surrounded by a steel and glass “cage,” are safety-belted in, and have airbags, the bicyclist has none of these things. As a result, many bicyclists are left with severe injuries such as traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries. These injuries can last months, years, or a lifetime. Distracted drivers may not be watching as closely as necessary, hitting a bicyclist in an intersection or a crosswalk. Having a highly-skilled bicycle accident lawyer helping you secure a fair settlement can be an invaluable resource. That’s where Brad Johnson steps in.
At Brad Johnson Injury Law, our team can protect your rights, help you recover lost wages, pay medical bills and get compensation for pain and suffering. We will work with the insurance companies to recover any lost damages associated with the accident. As your team, we can represent your interests and serve as the go-between with the insurance company after an accident. We will fight hard to make sure you receive a fair and reasonable settlement. We understand that you need time to heal from your injuries without worrying whether the at-fault driver’s insurance company will pay all the expenses associated with a bicycle accident. We will never let an insurance company take advantage of you, ensuring your rights and your future are properly protected.
Why Should You Hire a Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Glendale, AZ?
Attorney Brad Johnson will work hard on your behalf following a bicycle accident in Glendale. Brad is dedicated and experienced, providing the peace of mind you need from an attorney who will advocate strongly on your behalf with the insurance company. When you choose Brad Johnson Injury Law, you choose a law firm that creates a personal relationship. For more than three decades, Brad has represented accident injury victims in Glendale and throughout the Valley. You can expect dedicated, compassionate attention when you contact Brad Johnson Injury Law; Brad personally works on each and every case, ensuring you receive the highest quality legal representation. We offer:
- More than 30 years of personal injury experience
- A local law firm, not a large, impersonal regional/national law firm
- An individualized approach to each case, with every case handled by Brad
- Over 100 positive Google Reviews
- Core values you will appreciate and benefit from
- 24/7 Availability
- Free consultations
- A 25 percent fee vs. the typical 33.3 percent – see why this matters!
- English and Spanish speaking staff
Most importantly, we don’t get paid unless we win your case, and we will not settle for an amount that will not fully cover your expenses related to your bicycle accident.
What are the Most Common Injuries Sustained in Bicycle Accidents?
When you are involved in a bicycle accident, you may have grave injuries to deal with. The severity of the injuries for a bicyclist can run the gamut from cuts and scrapes to broken bones, fractures, TBIs, and spinal cord injuries. These can come with catastrophic medical bills and long-term treatment plans. Regardless of the injuries you have sustained, it is important to get medical attention immediately after the accident and consult with an experienced attorney to identify your legal rights to pursue a personal injury claim.
While the injuries you sustain will depend on the circumstances and facts surrounding your bicycle accident, some injuries are more common than others. These include:
- In less serious bicycle accidents, contusions, strains, sprains, lacerations, abrasions, and fractures are common.
- Sprains and fractures can lead to pain (sometimes chronic), swelling, difficulty moving, and bruising.
- Head injuries can be relatively minor or can include traumatic brain injuries. While a helmet can help minimize head injuries, even a “minor” concussion can lead to long-term issues. The vast majority of long-term disabilities stemming from a bicycle accident have to do with a head injury. More than half of all deaths resulting from a bicycle accident are the result of a head injury. Skull fractures, concussions, cranial hemorrhage, TBIs, and contusions can all result from a bicycle accident.
- Neck injuries are less common than head injuries following a bicycle accident but can occur. Neck injuries can lead to chronic pain and headaches that require long-term care.
- Facial injuries can include fractures, dental fractures, and eye and vision issues.
- Rib fractures, pelvic fractures, bowel contusions, pancreatic trauma, ruptured spleen, renal contusions, hernias, and other internal organ damage are all fairly common following a bicycle injury.
- Back injuries, including spinal cord injury resulting in paraplegia or quadriplegia, can occur following a serious bicycle accident.
If you have suffered serious or catastrophic injuries following a bicycle accident, attorney Brad Johnson can help you get your life back on track. Brad Johnson Injury Law will ensure your medical expenses and other expenses are fully paid while also ensuring you receive the medical care you need.
What are the Factors Associated with Bicycle Accidents?
Bicycle injuries can be sustained in a variety of different circumstances, all of which may be tied to the behavior of other drivers on the road. Bicyclists, for example, are much more likely to sustain injuries in what is known as a ‘dooring accident’ in which they are riding in the bicycle lane on the side of the road and are struck when someone in a parked car throws open their door without checking the rearview mirrors first.
Furthermore, cars that are unfamiliar with sharing the road with bicycles may have a greater propensity to strike bicycles and throw the cyclists off the bike. Even when wearing appropriate safety gear such as a helmet, severe and life-changing injuries can be sustained by a bicyclist. Bicyclists have pertinent legal rights but must take action immediately after an accident occurs.
Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents include distracted driving, drowsy driving, drunk driving, aggressive driving, and other reckless behaviors that can all lead to life-changing injuries for cyclists.
As you can imagine, there are many different causes of bicycle accidents, and each accident is unique. When a bicyclist is hit by a vehicle, grave injuries can occur as the bicyclist is virtually unprotected. Some of the more common causes of vehicle/bicycle accidents include:
- A parked driver opens their door into the path of an oncoming bicyclist.
- A passenger vehicle makes a right-hand turn, cutting off a cyclist in the bike lane.
- A bicyclist is rear-ended by a distracted driver or exceeds the speed limit.
- A bicyclist is hit as they travel through an intersection or crosswalk.
A bicycle accident can also occur as a result of a poorly maintained roadway or debris on the road. While these things might not bother a vehicle, they can cause a bicyclist to have a serious crash.
Who Can Be Held Liable in a Bicycle Accident?
While your bicycle accident lawyer will determine liability in your accident, given the specific facts and circumstances, generally in a vehicle/bicycle accident, the vehicle’s driver can be held liable. The driver could have been distracted, impaired, driving carelessly or recklessly, overly tired, or was driving over the speed limit. If the road was in especially poor repair, the bicyclist may be able to file a claim against the government entity responsible for designing/maintaining the roadway.
Less commonly, if a poorly designed or manufactured bicycle was responsible for the accident, the cyclist can file a product liability claim. If a dog attacked the cyclist, causing a wreck and injuries, the dog’s owner may be responsible. Attorney Brad Johnson can help you determine who is liable for your accident, therefore, responsible for your injuries. You may be entitled to receive:
- Medical expenses, current, and future (including hospital, physician, prescription drug, surgical expenses, and rehabilitative therapies)
- Lost wages, both current and future
- Pain and suffering for physical pain and emotional trauma
- Reimbursement for the damages to your bicycle
What Should You Do Following a Bicycle Accident in Arizona?
If you are involved in a bicycle accident, you may or may not be able to do the following due to your injuries. If you are able, it is important that you:
- Contact the police immediately. You will need the police report to show that you were not liable for the accident. If you were hit by a vehicle that left the scene of the accident, try to remember anything you can about the vehicle and/or driver so the police may be able to find the driver.
- Seek immediate medical attention. Even if you think you are “fine” following a bicycle accident, remember that adrenaline floods your body at the time of an accident, often masking injuries. It’s always better to be checked out just in case.
- If you are able, take photos of the scene of the accident and get contact information for any witnesses to the accident. These can be invaluable resources for your attorney down the line.
- Once you are home, write down every single detail you can remember about the accident. No detail is too small and can prove an important part of proving liability.
- Contact an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Glendale, AZ who can take over the legal aspects of your accident, allowing you time to heal.
A doctor may choose to engage in diagnostic treatments such as an MRI to determine whether you have sustained more serious injuries. After you have gone through these necessary steps following a serious bicycle accident, contacting an experienced personal injury attorney can be one of the most important things you can do for your future. A bicycle accident lawyer can help walk you through the various stages of the case and help represent you in terms of the insurance company or any legal claim. Brad Johnson Injury Law can help you through this difficult time in the best way possible.
What Are the Statutes of Limitations for a Bicycle Accident in Arizona?
Every state has its own statutes of limitations. This is the window of time you have in which to file a personal injury claim. In Arizona, this statute is generally two years from the date of the accident, although there are certain exceptions. It is important to discuss this with your bicycle accident lawyer, who will ensure this important date is not missed, and you are not barred from filing a claim.
How Can Glendale, AZ Bicycle Accident Lawyer Brad Johnson Help?
Dealing with insurance companies can be a frustrating experience for anyone, particularly when you are injured, perhaps unable to work, and attempting to get your life back on track. Insurance companies rarely consider your future and your best interests. Attorney Brad Johnson will make sure your future and best interests are front and center—the essential aspect of your claim.
At Brad Johnson Injury Law, we provide quality legal services to make the complex, often difficult legal process human and straightforward. We have the strength, experience, and knowledge of a large firm, along with the heart and attention of a small firm. We run our business with honesty and integrity and will always go the extra mile for you, your family, and your future. Contact Brad Johnson Injury Law today for quality assistance with your bicycle accident.